Did you know that Ten Lives Cat Rescue is run entirely by volunteers? We currently have over 60 volunteers in various roles helping us achieve our mission—to save homeless, abused, and abandoned cats by providing veterinary care, rehabilitation services, and then placing them into loving adoptive homes.
Run has played an extremely important role as a Ten Lives volunteer since February 2020, and is both a foster and a trapper for our rescue. She has three of her own cats, all of whom were rescued by her from the streets. Currently, she is fostering three 10-week-old kittens and an undersocialized adult cat.
1. How did you originally hear about us, and what made you decide to become a volunteer?
A friend of mine, Kim, is a volunteer and one of the coordinators with Ten Lives. I reached out to her for help with a cat hanging out around my house. Kim was very persuasive about fostering for Ten Lives. I couldn’t say no, and I’m glad I didn’t, because I love it!
2. What is your favorite story or memory while volunteering with us?
I don’t think I have a favorite story because every story has its own happy ending, and almost all of the stories end with helping to find these felines a forever home! That would be my favorite part—finding homes for these fur babies!
3. What have you learned during your time as a volunteer?
Although it was tough, I’ve learned that I cannot save every cat, and that not every cat wants to be inside. I’ve had to learn to be okay with that.
4. What do you wish other people knew about us?
I hope people to know that Ten Lives is a non-profit rescue, where the people are taking time out of their lives and are dedicated to helping these helpless felines! We truly care about the well-being of all cats.
5. What do you do when you aren’t volunteering?
When I’m not trapping cats, I’m spending time with my own resident cats and my fosters! If it’s summertime, I am also tending to my garden. I am also always on call for rescuing or trapping when needed.
6. How do you think Ten Lives Cat Rescue will change over the next five years?
In the next five years, I hope we gain more volunteers with the rescue—more great people to help save cats!
7. Why should others consider volunteering with us?
Volunteering with us is a great experience because you’re helping save cats. If you’re someone who wants a cat, but is unsure, fostering is a great way to get to know and understand of what owning a cat is like. Everyone in the rescue is also very helpful!
8. What have you gained while volunteering with us?
I’ve gained more experience in taking care of cats, and I have gained some great new friends with Ten Lives!
9. How much of an impact do you feel your volunteer work has had with Ten Lives Cat Rescue?
I didn’t realize I had that much of an impact until I was told I was nominated as April’s Volunteer Spotlight! Which is so amazing! Thank you!